Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Middle Earth Tube Map

It's Hobbit Day (the birthdays of Bilbo & Frodo Baggins). So what better way to celebrate than a look at the "Tube stops" in Middle Earth. It's a great way to "help the average joe understand its geography better".

Detail from Middle Earth Tube map by Reagan Lee - click to see full version

Graphic designer Reagan H. Lee said "My aim of this design was to bring Tolkien's world closer to ours in a modernized fashion. This became plausible when my curiosity for the London Underground and Sydney's CityRail's designed communication pieces got me thinking 'What if....'

Before I knew it, I started mentally picturing roads and locations on Middle-Earth maps as railway lines and stations! I then began designing on top of Middle Earth maps as templates for accuracy
."

The design comes in a T-shirt and a poster. One suspects the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy of films would have been a tad shorter if Frodo had been travelling around by Tube. Perhaps the Nazgûl could have battled it out with the RMT and TSSA to stop any chance of a Tube strike!

No comments:

Post a Comment